Saturday, 12 November 2016

12th November 2016

Well a very early start, alarm off at 420 as I like to come to gradually and we were at the village by 6 am. Today was a big fundraising day for GKTW as it is their annual Gingerbread Run and over 1,400  took part in the event. We had to be on site before 6 am as the roads were closed between our villa and the Village between 7 and 10 am. There were tons of volunteers there helping with it all including Ms Robyn Rothermel who was the first wish child at the village in January 1988, Debbie
and I chatted to her afterwards in the Castle of Miracles where she was taking a photo of her star. All the characters were out too. The Mayor and his wife Ms Merry, the Gingerbread Man, a Penguin and lots of Princesses and Pirates. The place was buzzing.

A chat to another volunteer this morning made both of us cry, so moving as so very true. It was something Pamela Landwirth said at the Veterans lunch on Wednesday. Seems a child who had stayed at the village earlier this year had taken very ill after she got home, a minister was called to the house so they could discuss God and Heaven. The child told the minister she knew about heaven as she had already spent a week there so she wasn't afraid ... what a lovely thought that a child could imagine that GKTW was like heaven .

Today's shift was a first for me and for Debbie too, we were on Express Breakfasts, exciting stuff as we, sorry me, made fresh pancakes. Okay it only meant pressing the start button and dialling in the number of pancakes required but it was fun, shame we only had a few families wanting our services.. made 8 pancakes though! Debbie cooked another tray of bacon and some more omelettes but we really weren't busy. We did help out the ladies on the ice cream, a few banana splits, a few cones and a few cups but we also kept the tables and chairs clean and sanitised

My beautiful Bayleigh came in with Ember, her .Mum, to say their goodbyes. Poor Bayleigh had a rough night so was in her chair and looked exhausted, a bit of ice cream bought her sugars up though and we soon had her smiling again. Ember said to me wow you are famous, I queried this and she said she had found out all the things I had done including my Sky Tower jump... how I asked as you don't know my surname or where I live. Scarily she said, oh I put in google 'Lorna U.K'  and found me, must have taken all night scrolling through the pages! We are now Facebook friends 😘 Not only that but they bought me a gift that I will always treasure an Alex and Ani, sweet treats bracelet, which has on it an ice cream cone 🍦. Thank you so much xxxx

Another lad that I had met the night before came in and reminded me that it was his 11th birthday, we sang to him happy birthday three times. The first time we rallied the troops to sing, we had to go fetch his .mum, thought we had cracked it the second time, but no, his Dad had not arrived with the video camera. Third time lucky. I also took lots of pictures of family groups using their phones.

 Next came the goodbyes , our time here at GKTW 2016 has come to an end, this year in 3 weeks I logged 120.21 volunteer hours, up on all previous years. A total of  384.54 hours in my 4 visits. I have enjoyed every second of it!!

We were home by one and I spoke to Allan too which was lovely.rental back

Icing on the cake, Tigers won

Poor .Lolly was feeling unwell so Debbie and I want with Pauline to taker her car back to Avis
In Old Town m Kissimmee where we all also took the opportunity to look at the many old time cars. They were immaculate and great to see.

Right last nights sleep here, really tired so once again night, night 😘





No comments:

Post a Comment