1st November 2016
A day off today, no not for me but for Pauline and Lolly so Pauline dropped me off for my shift on the carousel again today. Two other ladies were with me, Katie and June, both have been doing this shift for some years but they were very welcoming to me. Katie brings modelling balloons with her and makes swords or little dogs for each child that would like one...that was all of them naturally. I was asked to make sure the parents were happy for their child to have a balloon and to warn them that they must not be bitten. Today I did all three aspects of the carousel role...I was a gate keeper, a loader and the most important role of the key turner and button presser. I was greeted by one child as the kitty lady who looked after her last night., I did my Mary Poppins song to start the thing going, normally it is 1,2,3 and off we go, but I did Super, calli, fragi,listick, expi, alladocious and off we go. It worked as well. We also sang happy birthday to a little girl.
Marilyn, I am rather glad you weren't on the shift with me as Katie, is an ardent Trumpster and thought the sun shone out of his bottom. He is a much maligned gentleman, don't you know!
I have just remembered something I forgot to write yesterday, it was another birthday in Nancy's kitchen to not one, not twins but triplets girls who were 8, they also had a 6 year old brother too! Lucy be amazed.
Got back to the villa about 1130am and joined Pauline and Lolly aripound the pool before having a spot of lunch. They have hired a car from Saturday so that go do some .Florida exploring. Debbie, who arrives tomorrow evening will both be doing two shifts a day so need a form of transport to get us to and from the village so this seemed best solution.
I had a couple of hours around the pool b before leaving for my evening shift which was Mayor Claytons surprise birthday party, now you know that this happens regularly when it pops up as a suggestion in your predictive text, how Mayor Clayton hasn't worked it out yet is beyond me 🤔
There was a small group in tonight from Disney Glitter, mostly newbies. It is funny being being an old hand but also lovely being recognised by lots of the families. I was on the birthday garland inviting the children to write a message on a piece of cut paper a birthday message, not to Mayor Clayton but to GKTW as it is their 30th birthday this year . Each message is made part of the garland which I stapled together and will be hung in the Castle of Miracles. This was quite straightforward so gave me time to chat to the families. Several of the families are leaving tomorrow and gave me lots of hugs and thanks to all the volunteers. One family in particular were so thankful about their stay as Mum said that she could never have done for her children herself and what a great time they'd all had. Her son did refuse my proposal of marriage though which when I said that was just as well as my husband might not have been very happy made them roar with laughter. He did sweeten his refusal though by giving me several hugs, not bad for a teenage young man.
When the guy from volunteer services came sidling up tome asking what shift I was doing in the morning. I knew they were short of a volunteer somewhere and i was right. I was to be in Nancy's Kitchen but am now going to be in the Castle of Miracles, I agreed but as I am to be with a new volunteer I asked to be retrained at 1mph and not at 200mph, this is a special place to the families so needs to be done properly.
We were all in bed before 11 tonight as tired from our late night yesterday.
An early good night 💤😘
A day off today, no not for me but for Pauline and Lolly so Pauline dropped me off for my shift on the carousel again today. Two other ladies were with me, Katie and June, both have been doing this shift for some years but they were very welcoming to me. Katie brings modelling balloons with her and makes swords or little dogs for each child that would like one...that was all of them naturally. I was asked to make sure the parents were happy for their child to have a balloon and to warn them that they must not be bitten. Today I did all three aspects of the carousel role...I was a gate keeper, a loader and the most important role of the key turner and button presser. I was greeted by one child as the kitty lady who looked after her last night., I did my Mary Poppins song to start the thing going, normally it is 1,2,3 and off we go, but I did Super, calli, fragi,listick, expi, alladocious and off we go. It worked as well. We also sang happy birthday to a little girl.
Marilyn, I am rather glad you weren't on the shift with me as Katie, is an ardent Trumpster and thought the sun shone out of his bottom. He is a much maligned gentleman, don't you know!
I have just remembered something I forgot to write yesterday, it was another birthday in Nancy's kitchen to not one, not twins but triplets girls who were 8, they also had a 6 year old brother too! Lucy be amazed.
Got back to the villa about 1130am and joined Pauline and Lolly aripound the pool before having a spot of lunch. They have hired a car from Saturday so that go do some .Florida exploring. Debbie, who arrives tomorrow evening will both be doing two shifts a day so need a form of transport to get us to and from the village so this seemed best solution.
I had a couple of hours around the pool b before leaving for my evening shift which was Mayor Claytons surprise birthday party, now you know that this happens regularly when it pops up as a suggestion in your predictive text, how Mayor Clayton hasn't worked it out yet is beyond me 🤔
There was a small group in tonight from Disney Glitter, mostly newbies. It is funny being being an old hand but also lovely being recognised by lots of the families. I was on the birthday garland inviting the children to write a message on a piece of cut paper a birthday message, not to Mayor Clayton but to GKTW as it is their 30th birthday this year . Each message is made part of the garland which I stapled together and will be hung in the Castle of Miracles. This was quite straightforward so gave me time to chat to the families. Several of the families are leaving tomorrow and gave me lots of hugs and thanks to all the volunteers. One family in particular were so thankful about their stay as Mum said that she could never have done for her children herself and what a great time they'd all had. Her son did refuse my proposal of marriage though which when I said that was just as well as my husband might not have been very happy made them roar with laughter. He did sweeten his refusal though by giving me several hugs, not bad for a teenage young man.
When the guy from volunteer services came sidling up tome asking what shift I was doing in the morning. I knew they were short of a volunteer somewhere and i was right. I was to be in Nancy's Kitchen but am now going to be in the Castle of Miracles, I agreed but as I am to be with a new volunteer I asked to be retrained at 1mph and not at 200mph, this is a special place to the families so needs to be done properly.
We were all in bed before 11 tonight as tired from our late night yesterday.
An early good night 💤😘
No comments:
Post a Comment