25 th October 201
Well as I said it was an early start this morning, I checked in at volunteer services and then went straight to the dining room to see what was in store for me. We were very short of volunteers today it seems, a few regulars of which I was classed as one as did not need trading, the others were even to told to ask the regulars if they needed help.!
My job this morning was serving the delicious looking hot food, delicacies included....cheese omele, they lay in the dish slightly overlapping but it is not easy to separate them. Scrambled egg also proved popular today. Other accompaniments include salsa, a very orange cheese sauce, peppers with onions , mushrooms, pancakes with hot or cold syrup, biscuits with or without gravy, French toast fingers, fried potatoes, sausages, bacon and grits. Portion size was recommended and mostly adhered to but there were a few people who asked for and got extra.
Afraid I caused a bit of a stir when I accidentally sent a few melamine bowls crashing to the floor, it created quite a loud noise and people turned in my direction.... well what could I do apart from smile, wave and curtsy... this caused them to applaud me so I think I got away with it. Thank goodness it wasn't something that would smash into pieces as that would have made a mess.
Got back to the villa just before 11 and am now waiting (well as I am writing this at nearly 2 pm) for Marilyn to arrive. Marilyn and I met at the gates of a safari park in Zimbabwe and both Allan and I enjoy hers and Ted's company very much. We have had several get together s since, twice in the Uk and once in Boston MA. I know Marilyn will enjoy her week here volunteering with us and looking forward to seeing Ted also when he arrives here next week by car. Marilyn has flown down.
Now where have Pauline and Lolly gone this morning, answer is, off in search of some tonic water. What good is their 2 litres of gin without tonic water?? We did look the night of our arrival but maybe we were too tired to see it. Pauline, having mastered the art of getting the key out of the ignition of the hire car is in charge of the driving, the sat nav is set up for where they are exploring and the address of the villa is in there too, so fingers crossed they make it back .
Up date on a very successful trip by P & L , tonic water purchased and they had a great trip to what looked like a delightful park in Orlando, Lake Eola, saw their pictures of beautiful sculpture too, looked amazing.
Marilyn has arrived and it was like we see each other every day, slipping very comfortably into chat and friendship. How lucky are we 🤗
All four of us went to the village for our shift at Mayor Claytons surprise birthday party. P&L were on the skittles game, it looked a lot of fun and the children loved it. Marilyn was helping the children make birthday cards for the mayor and I was on throwing ping pong balls in to the fish bowl, a bit backbreaking stuff as I had to keep picking up the balls off the floor for the children. Good fun though for us all. There was a fairly large group from Hasbro toys, who already do a lot to support the charity. A lot of toys are donated to give to the children, not just with the daily toy each child receives in their villa but also a large part of the weekly Christmas event. They came laden with goody bags filled with gifts tonight too.
My highlight tonight was meeting a 22 year old Japanese guy, who has taught himself English since he arrived at GKTW 10 months ago. He has a vision and dream to build a village like at GKTW back in Japan. He was so enthusiastic that I truly believe he will one day achieve his dream.
Marilyn and I went off in search of something to eat after we finished our shift, trouble was I knew not of where to go, we ended up at Applebee's and had a burger which was quite tasty. We, however went a little than was necessary on our way home as I missed the Walmart turning! Sorry Marilyn.
Right, almost midnight now and Marilyn and I need to be out of the house a little after 7 for our breakfast shift, so I shall say goodnight. Apologies for all the mistakes as too tired to check through.
Well as I said it was an early start this morning, I checked in at volunteer services and then went straight to the dining room to see what was in store for me. We were very short of volunteers today it seems, a few regulars of which I was classed as one as did not need trading, the others were even to told to ask the regulars if they needed help.!
My job this morning was serving the delicious looking hot food, delicacies included....cheese omele, they lay in the dish slightly overlapping but it is not easy to separate them. Scrambled egg also proved popular today. Other accompaniments include salsa, a very orange cheese sauce, peppers with onions , mushrooms, pancakes with hot or cold syrup, biscuits with or without gravy, French toast fingers, fried potatoes, sausages, bacon and grits. Portion size was recommended and mostly adhered to but there were a few people who asked for and got extra.
Afraid I caused a bit of a stir when I accidentally sent a few melamine bowls crashing to the floor, it created quite a loud noise and people turned in my direction.... well what could I do apart from smile, wave and curtsy... this caused them to applaud me so I think I got away with it. Thank goodness it wasn't something that would smash into pieces as that would have made a mess.
Got back to the villa just before 11 and am now waiting (well as I am writing this at nearly 2 pm) for Marilyn to arrive. Marilyn and I met at the gates of a safari park in Zimbabwe and both Allan and I enjoy hers and Ted's company very much. We have had several get together s since, twice in the Uk and once in Boston MA. I know Marilyn will enjoy her week here volunteering with us and looking forward to seeing Ted also when he arrives here next week by car. Marilyn has flown down.
Now where have Pauline and Lolly gone this morning, answer is, off in search of some tonic water. What good is their 2 litres of gin without tonic water?? We did look the night of our arrival but maybe we were too tired to see it. Pauline, having mastered the art of getting the key out of the ignition of the hire car is in charge of the driving, the sat nav is set up for where they are exploring and the address of the villa is in there too, so fingers crossed they make it back .
Up date on a very successful trip by P & L , tonic water purchased and they had a great trip to what looked like a delightful park in Orlando, Lake Eola, saw their pictures of beautiful sculpture too, looked amazing.
Marilyn has arrived and it was like we see each other every day, slipping very comfortably into chat and friendship. How lucky are we 🤗
All four of us went to the village for our shift at Mayor Claytons surprise birthday party. P&L were on the skittles game, it looked a lot of fun and the children loved it. Marilyn was helping the children make birthday cards for the mayor and I was on throwing ping pong balls in to the fish bowl, a bit backbreaking stuff as I had to keep picking up the balls off the floor for the children. Good fun though for us all. There was a fairly large group from Hasbro toys, who already do a lot to support the charity. A lot of toys are donated to give to the children, not just with the daily toy each child receives in their villa but also a large part of the weekly Christmas event. They came laden with goody bags filled with gifts tonight too.
My highlight tonight was meeting a 22 year old Japanese guy, who has taught himself English since he arrived at GKTW 10 months ago. He has a vision and dream to build a village like at GKTW back in Japan. He was so enthusiastic that I truly believe he will one day achieve his dream.
Marilyn and I went off in search of something to eat after we finished our shift, trouble was I knew not of where to go, we ended up at Applebee's and had a burger which was quite tasty. We, however went a little than was necessary on our way home as I missed the Walmart turning! Sorry Marilyn.
Right, almost midnight now and Marilyn and I need to be out of the house a little after 7 for our breakfast shift, so I shall say goodnight. Apologies for all the mistakes as too tired to check through.
No comments:
Post a Comment